What is Cocci?
COCCIDIA are small protozoans (one-celled organisms) that multiply in the intestinal tracts of dogs and cats. They are most common in puppies and kittens less than six months of age or adult animals that are stressed or have a suppressed immune system.
Young Doberman puppies during birth are naturally exposed to their mother's feces, urine and any fecal load shedding from the stress of birth thru her milk.
If the mother is shedding the infective microorganisms in her feces from the stress of a new litter, then the young Doberman puppies will likely ingest the invisible protozoa and coccidia will develop within their intestines.
Most young puppies who are clinically ill from coccidia are two weeks of age and older. As a young animal ages, he tends to develop a natural immunity to the effects of coccidia and they are never thought of again....l
The primary sign of a puppy suffering from coccidiosis is diarrhea. The diarrhea may be mild to severe depending on the level of infection. Blood and mucous may also be present.
Severely affected animals may also vomit, lose their appetite, become dehydrated, or worse.
Fortunately, coccidiosis is treatable with A prescription drug called Ponazuril, if your veterinarian is still prescribing the dangerous and ineffective drugs such as Albon® and trimethoprim/sulfa please ask him to consider the newer and more effective drug Ponazuril
Because these drugs do not kill the organisms, but rather inhibit their reproduction capabilities, elimination of coccidia from the intestine takes time.
By stopping the ability of the protozoa to reproduce, time is allowed for the puppies own immunity to develop and remove the organisms.
To give your puppies digestive tract a boost while being treated, try Acidophilus+or Bene-Bac Pet Gel.
Most importantly start your puppy out on NuVet Vitamin Supplements
Rest assured your new Doberman puppy has NOT been raised in a stressful "Kennel" situation, however your Unique Doberman puppy has been raised naturally with the freedom to explore his outdoor world where he has been exposed to the native bacteria and protozoa that lives here in western America, some of which are of course Giardia and Coccidiosis.
Your puppy is free to explore and chase the Hawks, Eagles, rock chucks, cottontail bunnies, blue bellied lizards, white tailed deer, fox and coyote that may travel across our acreage.
This is why we strongly recommend that you continue your puppy on the great line of NuVet products that they and their parents have been on since before conception.
Use Order Code: 69685
To Order NuVet Toll-Free call: 1-800-474-7044
Use Order Code: 69685
International customers (including U.S territories) please call 800-474-7044 to order
- Splash Home
- Puppies For Sale
- NUVET Vitamins
- Kuranda Dog Beds
- CONTACT US
- Doberman Sires
- Doberman Mothers
- Doberman Blog
- Doberman Supplies
- Doberman Puppy Care
- PUPPY BUYERS TESTIMONY
- EAR CROPPING DOBERMAN PUPPIES
- Raw Dog Bones
- Feeding Dobermans
- All About Unique Dobermans
- Introduction to Dobermans
- European Doberman vs American Doberman which is better?
- Doberman Videos
- Are European Dobermans Good With KIDS?
- DOBERMAN TEMPERAMENT
- DOBERMAN PINSCHER HEALTH TESTING
- Local Resorts and Motels while visiting Unique Dobermans
- Doberman Temperament Testing
- 8 Tips on Training Your Doberman Puppy For Free
- WATCH OR GUARD DOG
- BALANCED TOTAL DOBERMAN
- IDIOPATHIC HEAD TREMORS
- Worming Your Doberman
- Holistic Veterinarians
- In Memory of Dobermans
- Vaccine Delimma and yur Doberman
- Vaccinating Your Doberman Part 1
- Vaccinating Your Doberman Part 2
- DCM and DOBERMAN PINSCHER HEALTH
- Tips on Keeping Safe in Real Life Situations using Dobermans for Protection
- Warlock Doberman For Sale
- Mourning and Grieving the loss of your Dog
- Will I see my dog in Heaven?
- The Lords Prayer
- We The People
- Dobermans for Schutzhund/IPO
- Doberman Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Dobermans and the Deadly Seven Sires
- Canine Whelping and Age Calculator
- Kennel Blindness
- DOBERMAN SIBLING RIVALRY
- Schutzhund Commands
- Started Puppies
- BRADLEY VON UNIQUE
- RETIRED BREEDING DOBERMANS
- DRACULA VON SAGRAMOS IPO1
- ENZO VON DER TOPFERSTADT