10 Safety Tips For Kids Living With Dogs
A kid and their dog can be a great relationship. But first you have to introduce them and that can come with some safety problems. Here are 10 tips to help your baby live safely with your dog.
1. When The Dog Is On The Floor, Don’t Put The Baby On The FloorIf your dog is outside getting some fresh air, that’s a great opportunity for your baby to crawl around on the floor but when your dog is inside, this can be dangerous. You never know when a frightened or startled dog or baby could react in a way that might cause harm to the other.
2. Never Leave Your Dog And Your Children Together UnattendedThis is never a good idea. We parents get busy with life, phone, the computer and stop paying attention to what our children and pets are doing. A simple hug from a child can be taken as an act of aggression by a dog. It’s best to always keep your kids within arms reach, even if there’s not a dog around.
3. Don’t Let Your Baby Crawl Into Another Room Where You Can’t See ThemIf your baby starts crawling, you need to follow. Don’t let your child or baby wander around the into rooms where you can’t see them. Use child safety gates and locks to keep young children contained and away from your pets or other hazards and dangers.
4. Don’t Allow Your Children To Approach Your Dog While He Or She Is SleepingDogs can be startled in their sleep just like humans. Give your dog a safe and comfortable place to sleep where children can’t startle or disturb them.
5. Never Let A Child Hit, Throw Toys At, Sit On, Or Shout At Your DogThis is never okay. Children need to be taught from birth that animals are to be treated with kindness and respect. It’s not okay to sit on a dog. This is when things can go very bad. Your kid could get bit your dog’s back could be injured. It’s not a funny photo opportunity. It’s dangerous.
6. Never Let Your Kids Hug OR KISS A DogMaybe your dog is use to hugs but to most dogs a hug is a sign of aggression and many dogs will react accordingly. Teach your children that they must always ask permission to touch or talk to a dog and they should never, under any circumstance hug a dog. This is how a lot of children end up getting bit.
7. Teach Your Kids Never To Take Anything Out Of Your Dog’s MouthWhether it’s a treat or a toy, children should learn that they should never try to take anything away from a dog. If a dog takes their toy, they should find the nearest adult, report the situation and let the adult handle it.
8. Never Let Your Pets And Children Lay In The Same BedYou might enjoy cuddling with your dog and your new baby but this exact scenarios has led to death. It sounds like a lot of fun, but it’s really just not safe.
9. Don’t Give Your Dogs More Or Less Attention When Your Baby Is BornChildren are a lot of work but having a child doesn’t mean that your dog should suffer lack of affection. Be sure to treat your dog the same as you always treated him or her before your precious baby was born.
10. Don’t Run AND SCREAM
When kids run, dogs love to chase. Teach your kids that being around a dog is like being around a swimming pool. It’s safer to walk. Hopefully an adult is nearby to stop any playtime that becomes too rough for your child or your dog.
This is not a one way street, if you see your dog exhibiting a behavior that is not okay around children you need to teach them that this is not okay. You may need to work with a trainer or put your dog in a bedroom and close the door when children are playing. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.
“You’ll see how much we know, and you’ll know how much we care.”
Dog Parks, It’s where we connect with our neighbors and like-minded pet lovers.
We make friends there, we sip our morning coffee there, we commiserate and relate there. So, it stands to reason that each dog park, in each neighborhood of Gresham is, in fact, the best dog park in Gresham.But, if you were to consider an adventure to a new dog park, these would all be great places to start.
Starting in Portland and winding through Milwaukee, Gresham, and Boring, this park offers paved walkways, vista points, natural areas, and a considerable off-leash area.
Main City Park:
Visit for the dog park, stay for the Tsuru Islands Japanese Garden. Bonus; after you run your dog, treat yourself to a frozen yogurt at Frenzi, and maybe let your pup lick the spoon when you’re done while enjoying their open, outdoor patio.
Sunsets are surprisingly gorgeous from Oxbow, and it’s a great place to let your water dogs splash and play after a rigorous hike.
Red Sunset Park:
14 acres of lush city park complemented by a tranquil lake where you and your dog can either lounge peacefully or splash around like summertime fools.
- Puppies For Sale
- NUVET Vitamins
- CONTACT US
- Kuranda Dog Beds
- Doberman Sires
- Doberman Mothers
- Doberman Blog
- Doberman Supplies
- Doberman Puppy Care
- ABOUT US
- PUPPY BUYERS TESTIMONY
- EAR CROPPING DOBERMAN PUPPIES
- Raw Dog Bones
- Feeding Dobermans
- All About Unique Dobermans
- Introduction to Dobermans
- European Doberman vs American Doberman which is better?
- Doberman Videos
- Are European Dobermans Good With KIDS?
- DOBERMAN TEMPERAMENT
- DOBERMAN PINSCHER HEALTH TESTING
- Local Resorts and Motels while visiting Unique Dobermans
- Doberman Temperament Testing
- 8 Tips on Training Your Doberman Puppy For Free
- WATCH OR GUARD DOG
- BALANCED TOTAL DOBERMAN
- IDIOPATHIC HEAD TREMORS
- Worming Your Doberman
- Holistic Veterinarians
- In Memory of Dobermans
- Vaccine Delimma and yur Doberman
- Vaccinating Your Doberman Part 1
- Vaccinating Your Doberman Part 2
- DCM and DOBERMAN PINSCHER HEALTH
- Tips on Keeping Safe in Real Life Situations using Dobermans for Protection
- Warlock Doberman For Sale
- Mourning and Grieving the loss of your Dog
- Will I see my dog in Heaven?
- The Lords Prayer
- We The People
- Dobermans for Schutzhund/IPO
- Doberman Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Dobermans and the Deadly Seven Sires
- Canine Whelping and Age Calculator
- Kennel Blindness
- DOBERMAN SIBLING RIVALRY
- Schutzhund Commands
- Started Puppies
- BRADLEY VON UNIQUE
- RETIRED BREEDING DOBERMANS
- DRACULA VON SAGRAMOS IPO1
- ENZO VON DER TOPFERSTADT