So, after lengthy visits in person, emails, phone calls or all of the above you have been selected by Unique Dobermans as a valued member of the Unique Doberman Parent Group.
You have placed your deposit and returned your puppy sales contract... now you wait... and wait.
But there are many things to be doing while you are awaiting the final days of picking up your bundle of joy at the airport.
You have toys to buy, puppy food to select from the list we provided, harness, leashes and collars. Then you need to think about training your new best friend!
1. Begin Potty Training at the airport:
Take your puppy out of his crate and put a well fitting harness on, you will have needed to pick up a harness that will fit a 15 to 20 lb dog. Attach a flexi lead to his harness and have some yummy treats for him to follow you around with. REMEMBER, your new puppy will not be leash trained so... just have him follow you around on the flexi lead and not much else until he relieves himself. It might take him a few minutes to get all of his plumbing going again so please be patient, remember he's been holding it a long time. Depending on the length of his flight and the distance he will still need to travel to get to his new home, you may decide to offer him a small meal and a bit of fresh water before you begin traveling home. Remember that within 25 - 30 min after eating and drinking you will need to stop and let him back out to go potty. Or anytime he begins to cry excessively.
2. Teaching Come:
Your puppy will be very food motivated so teaching him to come when called is one of the most easiest things to train your new puppy there is.
Take your puppy outside to play and relieve himself, then already have a high value treat such as a small piece of cheese, steak, chicken etc. when your puppy seems distracted in exploring his new environment call him by his new name as enthusiastically as you can all while waving the piece of food in your hand. He will put the two together incredibly fast. Only ask him to come once or twice while out playing, don't overdo it!
3. Teaching your Doberman to Sit:
Once your new Doberman puppy has learned to come you may begin to teach him Sit. Ask your puppy to come, but instead of giving him the treat immediately when he comes, wait until he sits instead.
Call your puppy to you, then take your treat and put it in front of his face while gently pushing his rear end down into a sit position, as soon as he sits give him the treat and tell him how smart he is! Repeat this 4 or 5 times per day and at each feeding time as well. Ask your puppy to sit while you prepare to place his food dish down, expecting him to wait patiently.
Most importantly we highly recommend that you have your puppies vitamins on hand so that his vitamin regimen is not interrupted, you can use the breeders discount by clicking here: http://www.nuvet.com/69685
- Puppies For Sale
- NUVET Vitamins
- Kuranda Dog Beds
- CONTACT US
- Doberman Sires
- Doberman Mothers
- ABOUT US
- Doberman Blog
- Doberman Supplies
- Doberman Puppy Care
- PUPPY BUYERS TESTIMONY
- EAR CROPPING DOBERMAN PUPPIES
- Raw Dog Bones
- Feeding Dobermans
- All About Unique Dobermans
- Introduction to Dobermans
- European Doberman vs American Doberman which is better?
- Doberman Videos
- Are European Dobermans Good With KIDS?
- DOBERMAN TEMPERAMENT
- DOBERMAN PINSCHER HEALTH TESTING
- Local Resorts and Motels while visiting Unique Dobermans
- Doberman Temperament Testing
- 8 Tips on Training Your Doberman Puppy For Free
- WATCH OR GUARD DOG
- BALANCED TOTAL DOBERMAN
- IDIOPATHIC HEAD TREMORS
- Worming Your Doberman
- Holistic Veterinarians
- In Memory of Dobermans
- Vaccine Delimma and yur Doberman
- Vaccinating Your Doberman Part 1
- Vaccinating Your Doberman Part 2
- DCM and DOBERMAN PINSCHER HEALTH
- Tips on Keeping Safe in Real Life Situations using Dobermans for Protection
- Warlock Doberman For Sale
- Mourning and Grieving the loss of your Dog
- Will I see my dog in Heaven?
- The Lords Prayer
- We The People
- Dobermans for Schutzhund/IPO
- Doberman Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Dobermans and the Deadly Seven Sires
- Canine Whelping and Age Calculator
- Kennel Blindness
- DOBERMAN SIBLING RIVALRY
- Schutzhund Commands
- Started Puppies
- BRADLEY VON UNIQUE
- RETIRED BREEDING DOBERMANS
- DRACULA VON SAGRAMOS IPO1
- ENZO VON DER TOPFERSTADT